On Friday August 2 2002 09:56 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

> I don't know whether this is right, but I have on this ring main 4
> computers, off hand I think they are mainly averaging  300w power
> supply each, which means when all 4 are on I have to protect  1200w ,
> but most of the time I would say 2 computers run on more or less
> continuously, which suggest I need something less than 1200w, but ,
> it would be sods law that the one time all 4 are running I'm not
> around to turn a few off when it matters. So I guess the only sure
> thing is to have overkill built in.

    150W per system would probly be overkill.  You can't just add up PSU
ratings. 'Sides y'all are forgetting addin in monitors.  Still, figure
150W per system is probly adequate for most all systems includin the
monitor.  Mostly UPS's advertise ratings in VA, not watts so much.  A
350VA UPS would probly be bare minimum for most desktop systems, 500VA
a little overkill.  Can't hurt, my APC BackUPS 500 will keep my high
wattage Tbird system + 17" monitor up for about 20 minutes, without my
high wattage sub woofer sound system plugged into the UPS.

    On another note, "Thunderstorms/Powersurges/Powerfailures"
protection is only one benefit of usin an UPS. Far and away, IMO, the
greater benefit is clean power even when the local electric company is
havin a sunny day ;)  An UPS not only provides steady power, no highs
or lows, good ones are also better than so called 'surge protectors'
which (maybe) only prevent spikes.

    Sort'a like power steering, once you've got it, you wonder how you
ever did without  ;)  Sort'a like journaling file systems too ;)