If I replace things like my /etc/issue or /etc/issue.net (the files
displayed for login on local console and on connection remotely,
respectively) and reboot, the files get replaced somehow.

The penguin picture has a slight error because one of the lines of
statistics wraps over the next line (where does it get that info anyway?),
so as root, I make a backup version and then edit the file.  OK, so if I
log out, everything looks ok.  The initial screen (for non-XDM setups) is
now my edited /etc/issue.  Same goes for the /etc/issue.net (I edit it
heavily because I don't think people should receive that information from
my box without even logging in.  Looks like a vulnerability to me).
Everything is as it should be till I reboot.

When I reboot, the files get replaced. Both /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net
have been replaced by the origional files at some point in the boot-up.

I have noticed this effect on other files before, but this is the best
example I have found yet.  Where are the origionals, where in boot up does
it do this, and how do I either stop it, or replace its template?

Later,
 David