David Reynolds wrote:

>I'm running Mandrake 8.2 with kernel 2.4.18-6mdk (on a system that
>originally had Mandrake 8.0 on it). During the upgrade my modem relinquished
>control of itself to anything but root for dialing out, and kppp refused to
>work any longer. Wvdial provided a kludge, but now I have access to a cable
>modem. However the process is not as straightforward as I had anticipated.
>
>NIC: LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card, model LNE100TX, v 5.1. Supposedly
>this is no problem in Linux, but when I ran draknet it tried to assign it a
>3com driver, 3c59x, when I believe it should be tulip. Changing this
>directly in /etc/modules.conf didn't have any effect thus far, though I have
>not rebooted yet. I did reboot once upon initially installing the card and
>driver, and set it to use DHCP via draknet.
>
>Hub: LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 5-port Workgroup hub, which works fine on the
>Windows 98 computer hooked into it.
>Cable modem: Toshiba PCX1100U
>ISP: Roadrunner
>
>Here's how /etc/modules.conf looks (before the driver change):
>
>pre-install pcmcia_core CARDMGR_OPTS=-f /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
>alias usb-interface usb-uhci
>alias autofs autofs4
>alias eth0 3c59x
>alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
>
>When I run draknet from a console here is the relevant error messages:
>(in console)
># draknet
>modprobe: Can't locate module serial
>Please wait while probing serial ports...
>
>I'm selecting LAN (ethernet card(s) detected), although I tried 'cable' and
>it had no obviously different effect.
>Under the network device eth0 it lists:
>IP Address: 192.168.1.10
>Netmask: 255.255.255.0
>Automatic IP: Checked (bootp/dhcp)
>Hostname: I tried several variations thinking this was the problem, but
>currently it is naeblis.shayolguhl.kc.rr.com, which is my local hostname
>plus the standard ending, following a few examples I saw. I also tried just
>the local hostname and a bogus name to no good effect.
>
>(back in console when it tries to restart the network):
>Setting network parameters: [OK]
>Bringing up interface lo: [OK]
>Bringing up interface eth0: Determining IP information for eth0... failed.
>[FAILED]
>

>Being a failure is not very productive. I'm not an idiot when it comes to
>computing, but Linux requires initiation into mystical circles I'm not privy
>to yet. Anyone have anything to offer? I don't mind the command line but
>don't take for granted I know the shortcuts, please. If you need more
>information contact on or off list.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>David Reynolds

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

OK  basically you cannot connect to the cable modem through a hub, or
connect more than one computer at a time through it to be proper.  The
first one gets its IP address and there are no more to be given by the
cable modem.

If you want to connect multiple computers through a single cable modem,
connect the Mandrake computer and then add a second interface to a hub
for the other computers--eth0 to local and eth1 to cable then activate
connection sharing

The dhcp failure you are geting is most likely the connection
misconfiguration.

Civileme