daRcmaTTeR wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> > I've just had the most unnervin exeperience.  I had two directories, KMail
> > and several documents open under OpenOffice, copying and pasting away, when
> > suddenly the screen blacked briefly then brought up the login screen.  I
> > shall now have to sort out which documents might have been affected by this -
> > I certainly hadn't saved them for a while, so there'll be lost work at least.
> >  Let's hope there isn't file corruption too.
> >
> > Anyone any idea what might have happened?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne,
>
> well, look at it this way. it's not a total loss. you were, after all,
> able to get copy and paste to work in OpenOffice. thats quite an
> accomplishment. apart from that it merely sounds as though your X server
> crashed. i doubt you've got any serious file corruption. maybe to the
> files you had open if that.
>
> --
> daRmaTTeR

Funny thing, my computer acted similarly *In windows mind you blah* and
if i tapped the monitor it shimmered.  This went on for months... woke
up last Saturday Morning almost had a heart attack!  The computer was
Off!  I had left it on over night ;p  so... why off?  Well after 2 hours
or so & a lot of cursing *yes i do that alot when computers fuck up*.

Ooops... see? Reflex. ;p

Anyway turned out my powersupply had died overnight. ;\  Thank god i had
a spare computer with a  P/S in it I could use. :)

Moral of the story:  Check the p/s & see if you are getting brownouts
too ;p

--
Femme

Good Decisions You boss Made:

"We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux.  I've always liked that
character from Peanuts."

- Source: Dilbert