----- Original Message -----
From: civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> OK  basically you cannot connect to the cable modem through a hub, or
> connect more than one computer at a time through it to be proper.  The
> first one gets its IP address and there are no more to be given by the
> cable modem.
>
> If you want to connect multiple computers through a single cable modem,
> connect the Mandrake computer and then add a second interface to a hub
> for the other computers--eth0 to local and eth1 to cable then activate
> connection sharing
>
> The dhcp failure you are geting is most likely the connection
> misconfiguration.

Thanks greatly for the straightforward answer. Never having had to deal with
a home network before, I did not understand the difference between
"hub/switch" and "router/switch". Silly me.

I'll pick up the other this week and make the switch. I'm planning on using
a LinkSys BEFSR41 Router/Switch since there are three devices currently
intended for connection. Aside from doing the MAC spoofing, is there
anything else I should be aware of?

> Civileme

Your advice is helpful, as always. Good luck with your employment situation.

David Reynolds