On Wednesday 14 August 2002 12:09 pm, you wrote:
> I just read a post on either newbie or expert about somebody who did not
> have hdparm on their Mandrake 8.2 install.  I just went and checked and
> I don't have it either.  I made a fairly complete install so I'm
> surprised.  (Understand -- it might be on the CDs, but I think I
> selected every major "group" of stuff for installation, and IIRC, dug
> for a few things (like nedit) that weren't installed "by default".)

Hi Randy. You might think this odd, but I've been on this list for a while
now, and I still label myself "newbie". 10 years from now, I think I'll still
label myself "newbie". By choice.

Full installation is never what it seems. I couldn't compile programs after a
full install - that surely doesn't seem right, does it? I had to install a
couple more RPMs thru the software manager before I could.

Hdparm was not on my powerpack version of 8.2 either. I went to RPMnet and
d/l'ed it from there. This was talked about on the list. There is a
difference in the download and Powerpack versions fo 8.2. Best way to stay
ahead and keep informed is to keep that "newbie" mentality and subscribe to
the newbie, expert and cooker mailing lists. Lurk a lot, absorb all the
wisdom that flows thru here, and post only when you really need help, or can
help someone else. Do NOTHING but lurk on the cooker list. <grin>

Hope this helps!

--
                                                                          /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord