SNIP
> Now I realize that some of what I want to do is at crosspurposes with
> some other things I want to do.
>
> For example:
>    * My mail on the Internet needs to look like it's coming from
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] so that:
>       * mail hosts that will only relay for a known "subscriber" will
> relay for me (I guess that depends on the envelope address), and
>       * replies to emails I send will come back to me (I guess that
> depends on the header address)
>
> AFAICT, I need an entry in canonical to change my local address
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) to the one that's valid on the Internet
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), at least when I send mail from the Linux mail
> server (which I will do on occasion) -- my Windows email client
> (Netscape) lets me specify my email address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) so at
> least the header address on outgoing mail is correct
SNIP

I have a similar setup myself. Because I do not have a Fully Qualified Domain
Name, anyone I send mail to could reject it because the IP address would not
match the domain name.

 So that is why I relay via my ISP's SMTP server. Then a reverse DNS would
look OK because the IP address of the host sending the mail will match the
host name in the header (my ISPs)  My ISPs mail server does not mind my not
having a registered host name, because I am directly connected to their
network, so they know who I am.
 Mail servers do not bother looking at the 'From' field in the mail because
you could be using a different identity.  (For example this mail apparently
comes from cwcom.net while in fact my ISP is ntlworld)

The identity of who is sending the mail is simply set up in the mail client.
Kmail for example allows you to assume an identity based on which folder you
are currently browsing.

Take a look at the headers of this mail, and you can trace it through my
system.(Read from bottom up)

derek