On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 19:01, Derek Jennings wrote:

> > Thanks Derek,
> >
> > I ended up deleting the .kde directory, since nothing I tried worked in
> > kcontrol worked. Guess I won't log out with save seesion checked
> > again... :)
> >
> > Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
> >
> > gaff
>
> Your experience demonstrates that unfortunately KDE is not ready for the wider
> public. I have seen my own daughter click on the little XKill icon on the
> screen, and with the words "What does this do" she killed the KDE toolbar. It
> then only requires a log off with 'save session' and the computer is unusable
> to the uninitiated.
> But we will get there!  In the one year I have been using Linux it has already
> made great leaps foward. And then nothing will stop us...(Manic laughter....)
>
> Seriously. KDE is very nice and is what I use on my desktop, but it can be
> 'fragile', requiring deletion of various hidden files to recover from a screw
> up.
>
> There are more 'robust' Window Managers.  Gnome is more robust, although it is
> not to my taste. Fluxbox is my current fave 'robust' manager for my
> (underpowered) laptop. It is so simple there is virtually no way you can
> break it. (None I can find anyway), but it is so different from Windows
> people are repelled.
>
> There are lots of nice WMs on your CDs and you can have fun trying them all.
> (For example Enlightenment has some if the most nightmarishly ghastly themes
> you can imagine :) (Do read the documentation on each or you  might never
> work out how to use them)
>
> Thats what I like about Linux. Choice :-)
>
> derek

I settled on KDE after trying the others out - Gnome didn't look very
nice (poor font rendering), and the rest were just a little too far
removed from what I'm used to, but might give them another try in the
future.

I've tried using linux at various points in the past 3 or 4 years and
decided it wasn't for me, but this time round I'm enjoying it, and it
seems to be easier. It still takes a lot more effort to do simple things
(like change your screen resolution... grrrr) than it should, but I
guess it'll get there soon.

Thanks again for your help,

gaff