On Sunday August 18 2002 06:12 am, Peter Watson wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm about to install LM on a new machine with 512Kb RAM. On my old
> machine I only had 64Kb and used a swap file of 128Kb.
>
> I've read in lots of places that I should have a swap file of twice
> my RAM up to a limit of 512Kb. However, it never says whether this
> limit applies to the RAM or the swap file.

    That rule of thumb is dated. When systems only had 16, 32, or 64MB
it was good advice.  Now that systems often have more than 256MB it no
longer applies.  An exception would be if you ran a server with many
users and services, or have some big super duty industrial strength
application running 24/7 that's a memory hog. In a case like those
you'd be better off adding more ram tho.

> With 512Kb RAM should I have a swap file of 512Kb or 1024Kb?

   I've got 150MB /swap with 512MB ram.  The install slider wouldn't let
me go for less. I use to have just a 80MB /swap, and hardly ever used
any of it.