On Tuesday 20 August 2002 09:19 am, daRcmaTTeR wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> Please keep in mind that what I'm about to say is said with the best of
> intentions and no offense is meant. But, which part of bleeding edge,
> _Beta_ release isnt' quite clear?
>
> first, since it's a beta release you're guaranteed there are going to be
> things that don't work. second, it IS the very bleeding edge of the cooker
> release so what updated packages are you expecting to find for this?

        Thou should remain calm.  I'm not complaining, only asking.
        First, I am under the impression beta releases need to be used to find bugs.
Users installing betas in non-critical settings and discussing problems is a
desirable thing in linux.  Late betas should be tested by a cross-section of
all users to simulate the final release.  Iimproving the install and
configure routines is a major target for Mandrake.  What part of that is
wrong?
        Second, I don't know what packages.  Mandrake  included the update function
in the beta installation routine.  Youi'll have to ask them, it was their
idea.
        Third, I thought this list was for asking if someone else shared a problem
and knew a workaround.

        Fred