On 17 Aug 2002, Stephen Gaffney wrote:

> - I have no tool bar in KDE.
> It's just disapeared - during KDE's start up, it flickers at the bottom
> of the screen, and then it just isn't there. I've tried reinstalling KDE
> using the mandrake install disc, but it made no difference, so I'm
> guessing it's a config thing...
> So, what I'm asking is, what config/setup files do I need to edit to get
> my tool bar back? Also, how do you show the '.KDE' directory in
> /home/myprofile* using the Konquerer file browser and command line?

This comes a bit late for you, Stephen, but just in case you or someone
else will need this tip later:

I think you meant the desktop panel (with K button and everything), which
is called Kicker. If the panel is missing just give the commands Alt+F2
(command prompt) and then 'kicker' on the command prompt so the panel
will be back. (Yes, you can safely try it out with Xkill!)

If the panel goes missing again and again, deleting ~/.kde directory
probably helps (it's a shame you cannot edit much in there). If deleting
.kde doesn't help (possible especially on some older laptops), you must
consider Gnome or an older/newer version of KDE or something else.

Olli
Registered Linux User #283484