hi Colin,

i'm pretty much a newbie myself,
so what i'm putting here is just what works,
rather than what is correct.

but anyway, what i do is to edit /etc/X11/Xsession

near the end, around line 150,
there's this line

        [ "$SESSIONxxx" != "xxx" ] && exec $SSH_AGENT sh -c "$(/usr/sbin/chksession
-x="$SESSION")"

i simply added the following

#       [ "$SESSIONxxx" != "xxx" ] && exec $SSH_AGENT sh -c "$(/usr/sbin/chksession
-x=$SESSION)"
        [ "$SESSIONxxx" != "xxx" ] && exec $SSH_AGENT sh -c "$(/usr/sbin/chksession
-x="IceWM")"
#       [ "$SESSIONxxx" != "xxx" ] && exec $SSH_AGENT sh -c "$(/usr/sbin/chksession
-x="XFce")"

and commented/decommented whatever my mood/work called for.
(take note the line wrapping is due to the email program.
in Xsession it's only 3 separate lines.)

btw, if you're using a lightweight wm to make vnc more responsive,
you may be taking the wrong route.

it's extremely strange that winvnc installs with
extremely inefficient (in terms of bandwidth i think)
encoding as its defaults.

may be a throwback to when CPUs were much slower,
but i wouldn't know for sure.

IMO, try changing to Tight with Custom Compression Level 7 or higher,
no jpeg compression for the best responsiveness over a LAN.
if you can stand the artifacts, you can even enable jpeg compression.
of course, YMMV.

hope this helps.