On 20 Aug 2002 18:15:46 -0600, Warren Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What alternatives to Outlook exist for shared calendars, contacts,
> tasks, etc.? It has to run in both Windows and Linux, and has to be in
> Spanish.
>
> I've successfully switched our city government from MS Office to
> OpenOffice as a first step in migrating it to Linux later. Now we have a
> new city manager who wants either Outlook or something with similar
> groupware features for our LAN. He's cautiously open minded about open
> source and Linux, so even though the easy thing to do is buy a few
> copies of Outlook I'd much rather impress him with something open source
> (that will also work under Linux, thus making it easier to later dump
> Windows).
>
> I couldn't find anything on Freshmeat. Twig and phpgroupware, which come
> on the Mandrake CDs, are interesting cross platform groupware. Any other
> ideas?

Go to http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=Search and run a search for
"bynari". You'll get a bunch of results. Bynari can be found at
http://www.bynari.net/.

I personally think that your best bet is Ximian Evolution
(http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/). It is GPL, and is designed
to fit in with the GNOME desktop environment. It can connect with an Exchange
2000 server via Ximian Connector (http://www.ximian.com/products/connector/).
Evolution is designed to look and act like MS Outlook (without the security
holes or spyware, of course), so the learning curve for existing Outlook users
is not steep. Evolution is already included in Mandrake Linux, and also in
Ximian GNOME (http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_gnome/).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        Nine out of ten voices in my head can't be wrong, can they?