Mostly because of the number of updates necessary, kernels glibc etc etc..

7.2 is a no go because I don't want to have to compile all the latest apps,
and they are not available as rpm's (Postfix, Bind, Samba etc.) Also, I like
Stateful inspection, so IPTABLES and 2.4.x is the go.

8.0, 8.1 is a no go because of the number of updates required, the
inefficiency of the kernels with regards to swap, and no decent supermount.
(not really matter for this dialup box though.)
Some of these boxes have limitations hardware wise, so the more effeciant
use of the resources the better.)

8.2 I like, but have had some issues with rpmdrake and a few other things,
and again, it needs a kernel update, glibc and a ton of other stuff now..
takes too much time, I have practially no time as it is.. (supposed to have
the first box back on the network in about 6 hours.)

basically I'd like a clean slate, and take it from there.

I loved 7.2, best distro I ever tried and still unbeaten. (in fact the vast
majority of box's I will be upgrading are 7.2 boxes, one of them has an
uptime of nearly a year.. (would be longer but I upgraded the kernel.)

I need to get these boxes up fast, and that means that as much as I'd prefer
to compile kernels and all the apps I need, it just takes to long..

If 9 beta 4 only has minor issues, and since its the 4th beta, I am guessing
thats the case, then I can work around it, Only two of the servers will get
the beta, the rest can wait for the final release, (maybe even a month or so
after)

And the two boxes are just going to be low bandwidth routers/mailservers and
stuff like that.

Look at it this way, if it causes hassles, I'll wipe them and put the 9 full
release on.

I don't expect any major problems though.

rgds

Frank