On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:09:05 -0400, et <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>as with any network, the defination of "new storage" is probley part of the
>problem, in fact defining the new storage to the OS is about the whole
>problem, my guess. If it were me, I would have first decided what OSs I want,
>then go from there.

Mandrake was the OS I wanted.
The machine was running Mandrake 8.2 before with ext2 and ext3
formatted drives. I don't want Windows of any description on that
machine.

>if I had a computer that had a winblow OS on the first
>disk in the first hard drive, I would then add my new disk as a slave to the
>first IDE cable, still booting with with the Mandrake install CDrom, and
>install from there.

The reason I got diverted into Windows was an attempt to put something
new on the drive in the hope that that would help Mandrake 'see' the
drive. One of the drives I had in there before had FAT partitions on
it so I reasoned that Mandrake could happily continue the boot after
seeing FAT. Although I suspect (guess!) that the IDE driver is
probably just enumerating the drives at this point & checks the file
systems a couple of lines further on.

What you suggest is partly where I started from (existing drive still
on cable, new drive added as slave) except that the master had
Mandrake 8.2 on it & I was trying to boot from that.

>> After trying the drive as secondary master, then primary slave, I
>> grabbed a Win98 boot disk & put a primary partition on it, formatted
>> as FAT32.
>did you use MSdos fdisk for this? then format c: /s?sx

Yes and no.
Win98 boot disk fdisk to partition it, can't recall whether or not I
actually formatted it (!).

What I did do later was put an 8Gb partition on it & I DID format that
(without /s though) - still no luck.

Next line of attack was to try the 120Gb drive on another machine.
I put it in an Abit BP6 (dual celeron) as slave to the existing
Win2000 FAT boot drive. Sure enough Mandrake CD booted & saw the
drive! So I followed through & did a full installation onto the 120Gb
drive. Of course the boot loader stage had to go and spoil my day by
overwriting the Win2000 MBR on the master drive so that I couldn't
boot Win2000 any more - despite me telling Mandrake NOT to install the
bootloader!

But anyway, I moved the now Mandraked drive back into the old machine
& booted from CD...

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 78
PCI: Assigned IRQ 10 for device 00:0f.0
ALI15X3: chipset revision 32
ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x2000-0x2007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
     ide1: BM-DMA at 0x2008-0x200f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: probing with STATUS(0x50) instead of ALTSTATUS(0xff)
hda: Maxtor 4G120J6, ATA DISK drive
hdb: probing with STATUS(0x50) instead of ALTSTATUS(0xff)
hdb: probing with STATUS(0x51) instead of ALTSTATUS(0xff)
hdb: probing with STATUS(0x51) instead of ALTSTATUS(0xff)
hdb: CREATIVE CD5220, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: irq timeout: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
hda: irq timeout: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
hda: 240121728 sectors (122942 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CMS=14946/255/63,
(U)DMA
Partition check:
 hda:hda: irq timeout: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }

 (that's if I boot from the Mandrake CD - if I attempt to boot from
the HD then I get boot failure - which is only to be expected as I
didn't write the boot loader there).

That looks like I've actually made things worse.

Hmmmm - gotta think about where I go next.
Seems to be something special about this controller & this drive in
combination that upsets Mandrake. Although I know that the combination
will work cos Win2000 installs OK there...
Time to think some more.

Jon