shane wrote:

> right, here goes again....
>
> i have a choice right now to run my connection sharing either through
> mandrake SNF or a linksys router.  now the router is ok, does the job, but
> when i use the SNF on an old p90 i consistently get anywhere from
> 150-300kbps faster.  despite the extra power draw i really prefer the SNF
> machine.  :)
>
> here is the trouble.  with SNF everything i do works just great.  except TFC
> (half-life version) which tells me there is no internet.  i know the
> machine works, cause i have gotten email, and downloaded updates on it.
> but no games.  any ideas?
>
> ....not that i play more than 3 times a year.

If you open the port on your firewall that Half Life uses to commune
with the gaming world you should be just fine. Since I don't play this
particular game I'm not really sure which port it's using to access the
net, but I rather suspect it's port 80.

As to the first part of your message _any_ firewall, in my experience,
that is errected on a machine such as your SNF machine is far superior
to that which you will find even in a linksys router. It's far more
exstensible and much easier to configure and maintain. You can use both
if the router is the manner in which you use to connect to your ISP.
Just open all the ports inside the router to allow traffic to enter your
LAN, and then place your SNF next in line between your router and the
rest of your network. from there you can filter all the traffic that
enters your LAN.

Mark