On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, dfox wrote:

> > This app seems to need a lot of optimization, as the RPM packages did
> > work slower. and to answer your question: nope. i never encoded using
>
> PRMs temd to be conservative sometimes. And mencoder does a ton of
> computations. I don't know how long it would take on a reasonably-
> powered box with mencoder, but my brother did some dvd encodings with
> some Windows software; he said it took about 18 hours to rip a DVD, on
> a Pentium 3/700 (I think that's what he has).

Huh? 18 hours? I have a Pentium3, 800mh/z, and it takes me (under Linux)
roughly 4-5hours to rip a 2 hour movie, and because I do it twice (for
better quality) you can add another 3 to that, making a total of 8 hours
max.

This is of course under Linux, which is faster than my experiences with
windows.... but even under Windows it never took 18 hours. It took me
roughtly about 6-7 hours for a single rip on this same computer.

So yes, it all depends on whay you exactly want to do with your DivX-Rip.
There are several codecs, several ripping methods and so on. Mencoder rips
on_the_fly (direct off DVD), whereas others first have to rip all the .vob
files to the HD first. I use libavcodec as the DivX codec which fom my
experiences is the best and fastest, producing great results :-)

Ralph

--
Homepage: http://tuxpower.f2g.net/