On Wednesday 11 Sep 2002 8:48 pm, you wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I have to do a Win98 re-install tomorrow - and it's urgently needed.  The
> > computer has Mozilla 1 installed.  I am afraid of her losing all her
> > mail, as I can't find where Mozilla keeps the mailboxes and other
> > personal data.  Can anyone help, please?
> >
> > Sorry that it's windows, but I felt that someone else here will have
> > Mozilla for windows installed.
> >
> > Anne
>
> goto your application data folder.. not sure where that is on win98..
> but you should be able to find Mozilla/Profiles/Default folders
> somewhere.. and the files inside eg: search.rdf
>
> Anyway.. once you find that folder, go into the Mail folder, then Local
> folders.. where you find lots of *.msf files, aswell as files matching
> the * with no extension.
> Take a copy of all these files, and you can drop them into a new profile
> on windows after reinstallation.. they even can be taken to another OS .
> I recently copied some from inux to windows with no problems at all.

That was a great help - thanks.  Once I knew to look for *.msf I had a
chance.  I would never have thought to look under windows\application data -
it just doesn't fit the description - but that's where I found them.

This is one thing that I thought was much better under Netscape 4 - you could
choose to have these folders on a data directory, well away from the fragile
install directories.

Thanks again

Anne