On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:29:56 -0400, Charles A Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:41:25 +0200 (CEST)
>> Ralph Slooten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Gnome ain't bad ;-) I personally use Fluxbox not really because of
>>> Gnome itself, but one of the main reasons why I started looking for
>>> alternatives is because of the way Mandrake is making Gnome totally
>>> dependant on Natuilus (try uninstalling Nautilus, and rpm tells you it
>>> has to take down Gnome and all with it too.... all for a bloody
>>> filemanager).
>>
>> One more time.
>> nautilus is a part gnome.
>> You can not have gnome unless you have nautilus and Mandrake has Nothing
>> to do with this.
>>
>> In Gnome2 nautilus is the Only gnome file mgr.
>> You may use any of the # of others available, but nautilus is the only
>> one that can control the gnome desktop.
>
> In GNOME 1.4, Nautilus was basically tacked on. It can be forcibly removed
> without any ill-effects. I have a GNOME 1.4 system running like this and I've
> had no problems.
>
> GNOME 2 is a different kettle of fish. There, Nautilus is an integral part
> of GNOME, just as Konqueror is part of KDE, or Windows Explorer (not IE)
> is part of Windows. It is needed for things like the Control Centre. However,
> just like in GNOME 1.4, you can turn Nautilus' desktop management off in
> its preferences.  Then, it will only be accessed when it is truly needed.
> Nautilus in GNOME 2 is _much_ faster and lighter than its predecessor, and
> I've seen little reason to remove it from my GNOME 2 desktop.

  Same here.  I was _very_ critical of Nautilus awhile back until you told
me how to turn it off.  Now that the deadwood code has been removed it's
_much_ faster in 2.0 and I'm very happy with it.  I built a linux box for my
grandchildren, daughter, and ex which I delivered yesterday.  I sat down
and started Gnome from the command-line from their mother's login, started
the background configurator from the menu, started Nautilus and double-
clicked on her "Wallpaper" directory (made one for each of them).  When the
thumbnails popped up their eyes bugged out.  When they saw me dragging and
dropping thumbnails to the little rectangle on the configurator gui, and saw
each image instantly becoming the desktop background, oohs and aahs filled
the room.  They had a blast personalizing their own desktops and spent the
rest of the evening fighting over computer time.  One more Linux family.
(My other daughter's computer, and her husband's computer, are also windoz
free.

Dale Huckeby