Patrik Marxer wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>thank you for your patience. The commands you supplied work - they copy the
>_content_ of a cdrom to an iso which is then burned. But they do not make a
>1:1 copy, the cd that is created with your commands is not bootable but the
>original cd was. I may have missed a command line option in mkisofs or
>cdrecord to swich this on.

Good question, I don't know, as I have never copied a bootable CD
that didn't work for me as a boot CD , even though it is a copy.
I'm guessing now, first of all go to man cdrecord and man mkisofs
in a terminal. there is a lot of stuff in there and there may be a
switch to use.

I know xcdroast has another window within  Create Cd called
Boot options, I would try writing the disc with the El Torito option
enabled , it's not there for nothing. I'm guessing that you need to
specify the boot image  path,and I'm guessing that Hard disk image
needs to be enabled , well it seems like a likely option , since the default
is floppy image boot  which is not the case here, you want it to
run from CD, not a floppy, and you want the cd to have knowledge
of where to find the MBR etc.

What puzzles me is why your straight copy of the original boot disc
fails to initalise on boot up as the original does.It seems a bit strange
if the original boots up it cannot be a bios setting getting in the way, so
it has to be something about the copy that is different. I copied
many Mandrake CD1's for people doing it with these afforementioned
methods without problems. I've also copied the "others" as well.
Is there something odd about the original, that the copying software
finds it does not know how to resolve do you think. amil me off
list if like.

John

>I have found another (easier) way of copying a cd (after 6 cds): koncd has an
>option to copy a cd (this uses readcd - you have to add the user to the group
>cdwriter) which preserves all the content of the original (bootability,
>label, format...) I also tried gcombust which has an option to read an iso
>from cd. This also makes a 1:1 copy.
>
>I am sure these commands (readcd and the guis) use mkisofs themselves but
>they obviously query all the different options a cd can have and set cdrecord
>accordingly.
>
>xcdroast when making an iso from a mounted cdrom also does not preserve the
>label and bootability. The copy cd option seems broken on my computer. The
>version is up to date. I don't see a reason to go further into this since
>there is a way to do what I want.
>
>So the only way I found to easily copy a cd is with readcd (and koncd) and
>with gcombust. If I made a crucial mistake then tell me so that I don't
>spread false information.
>
>Patrik

John

--