Warren,

If your 80486 CMOS BIOS is that old, where it doesn't offer you the opportunity to
ignore the a missing keyboard, then that's the way it is. I suppose someone may have
devised a null plug to compensate. Late-model 486 boards came out with this capability
and that's been the case with most motehrboards since then.

An alternative is to shop around your local conputer stores and on-line for a keyboard
that has a cover, especially one that locks. IT's and MIS's out there must have seen
these in their monthly solicitations. Check out Processor.com.
http://www.processor.com . I have been getting their periodical for years.
Subswcription is free to those in the computer industry. I haven't been at their site
in ages, so you will have to look to see if they have anything on-line that can help
you. Most likely, a good computer store in your area would have something like this.
You could also fashion your own locable cover. If you are gifted in that department,
it may be the simplest solution for you.

Of course, the most cost effective answer would be to look in your local papers for a
used Pentium box. You would get the benefit of a newer system and with more upgrade
possibilities as your needs grow.

Good luck...

Warren Post wrote:
This is a hardware problem, not a Linux problem. But perhaps someone has
faced this problem before.

I've amazed my friends by setting up a Linux-firewall-on-a-floppy in our
city hall on an ancient 486 that was retired ages ago. But when I try to
run it headless, it won't boot unless I plug a keyboard back in. As a
workaround I've got an old keyboard that doesn't work very well plugged
into the box, but that is both an inelegant solution and a temptation to
idle fingers. Nor is this an idle complaint: our frequent power outages
mean that the box must reboot often and reliably.

I suspect that the problem is hardwired and the only solution is to
change the motherboard. (I see no BIOS settings that should affect the
keyboard.) But somebody prove me wrong, please.
-- Warren Post Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras http://www.srcopan.vze.com/

Changed your e-mail?  Keep your contacts!  Use this free e-mail change of address
service from Return Path.  Register now!