On Wednesday September 25 2002 05:55 pm, Marcia wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 September 2002 07:25 pm, you wrote:

> >    AMD apprv'd for your 1600+, unfortuntely, I have no experience
> > with these new mico-boards (an i'm not an ECS fan). The lastest
> > bios is 1.0a
> > http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/download/l7vmm.htm "1.
> > Remove "CPU warning temp item" in BIOS setup
> >  The ITE8705 chipset use the same high and low limit for "CPU
> > warning temp & CPU shutdown temp"
> >  2. To fix Hynix 128M X 2 or Samsung 128M X 2 system will
> > auto-restart when running"
> > ....  either fix could be pertinent to your crash problem, so
> > update if you don't already have 1.0a.  Both are worrisome in that
> > they deal with auto shutdowns (crashes), one for temp, the other
> > for ram.

> I will update the bios then for starters. I have never done this so
> what is the procedure for doing this?

http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/download/winflash_award.htm

    has instructions and a link to d/l the win-flash utility.  I've
never used Windoze to flash a bios so I can't comment on it.  Hopefully
the new bios   http://205.158.63.158/bios/l7vmm10a.exe  is nothin more
that a winzip self extractor containing a <bios>.bin file. If it
is/does, then you could get awdflash.exe (use Google) which is a DOS
utility. Add it an the <bios>.bin file to a DOS boot floppy.  If you
don't have a DOS floppy you can get one from http://www.bootdisk.com/
Then you can boot the floppy and type 'awdflash', it's fairly simple.

   An even better way IMO is to edit MSDOS.SYS (a hidden txt file)
[Options]
BootMulti=0
BootGUI=0    <--  This will be =1, change it to =0
    Now your W95 will boot to DOS no windoze present.  Make a dir
C:\bios (or whatever you want to call it) and put awdflash.exe and the
<bios>.bin file in it.  Then when you boot DOS, cd to \bios and type
'awdflash'   IMO, it's quicker (and safer) to flash from HDD rather
than floppy. To start Windoze, just type 'win' at the prompt.

   Whether you use ECS's Win-utility, a DOS floppy, or my HDD method,
it is imperative that the computer does not lose power or be rebooted
until the bios flash is complete.  Also, at least with the DOS method's
you will be asked if you want to save the old bios, say Yes.  If you
know someone that's experienced in flashing bios', you might wanna get
some hands on help.  You can end up with an unbootable system if the
flash isn't successful.