> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:42:07 -0700 (PDT)
> Andre Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Are there any sites that explain how to set up internal modems and printers for
>Linux?
> >
> > Also, I'd like to set up a home network and put my Linux computer on it. I
>currently have Mac, Win98, WinME. They're not networked yet (I'm a real novice), and
>I need some information about how to go about setting this up.
> >
> > My Linux version is currently 7.1, and I do plan to upgrade to 8.2.
> >
> > Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> > Dre---
> >

> www.mandrakeuser.org has lots of nice HOWTos and an active discussion board. You can
>find evertything you need there.  Be careful of generic HOWTOs and out of date
>material you see on the web. Setting up devices in Mandrake 8.2 is a lot easier than
>you will read in a lot of material.  Printer setup for instance is usually nothing
>more than pressing a couple of buttons in Mandrake Control Centre.
>
> Networking with Samba is not quite so straightforward, but there is plenty of advice
>on doing it on mandrakeuser.
>

> HTH
>
> derek
Hi Andre, a great site to help you w/printers is http://www.linuxprinting.org/

As far as internal modems go, it depends if it is a winmodem or not. I have a winmodem
(Conexant HCF chipset), but lucky for me it's one of the few that have drivers
available for Linux. Outside of Conexant and Lucent, I don't think there are any
winmodems w/drivers available. Hardware modems should be no prob.
IMHO you should probably upgrade to 8.2, or 9 first, then try to deal with hardware
issues. A Google search for your modem chipset "+Linux" may be helpful too.

Good luck to you. 8-)

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber

Reg. Linux User #278931
Download the FREE Opera browser at www.opera.com/download/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/