Ron Bouwhuis wrote:

><snip>
>

>>So it looks as though I can use chcase to  change
>>the file names
>>from what ever they be when downloaded into date
>>order, for instance ?
>>
>>my experimental folder:-
>>root/Desktop/mont
>>root]# cd /root/Desktop/mont
>>mont]# ls
>>DSCI0001.JPG  DSCI0004.JPG  DSCI0007.JPG
>>DSCI0010.JPG  DSCI0013.JPG
>>DSCI0002.JPG  DSCI0005.JPG  DSCI0008.JPG
>>DSCI0011.JPG  DSCI0014.JPG
>>DSCI0003.JPG  DSCI0006.JPG  DSCI0009.JPG
>>DSCI0012.JPG
>>
>>chcase -x 'tr/DSC1*/dd/mm/yyyy'*.jpg
>>Now I don't ecpect that to work because for
>>one thing it will create a lot of files that may
>>possibly end up with the same name, or would it,
>>presumeably it would addopt the numerical
>>progression
>>as well. What would be your thought here Jan,or
>>maybe you have a better suggestion.
>>

>FYI: ls -t will list files in date order.
>
>Ron.

Thanks Ron,
You are of course quite right, if you ls -t  it will list the files
in the directory in date order, like this,
[root@localhost mont]# ls -t
DSCI0014.jpg  DSCI0011.jpg  DSCI0008.jpg  DSCI0005.jpg  DSCI0002.jpg
DSCI0013.jpg  DSCI0010.jpg  DSCI0007.jpg  DSCI0004.jpg  DSCI0001.jpg
DSCI0012.jpg  DSCI0009.jpg  DSCI0006.jpg  DSCI0003.jpg

However , actually that in not what I meant.
I want to create a system. A system that combines many directories
of files whose contents will have files that will unfortunately include
files
of the same name as files in another directory. This is because a Camera
once the existing images files have been formatted off the smart card
begins again with exactly he same numenclature, ie DSCI0001, DSCI0002,
etc etc. Maybe I just have to accept this.

However this perl scrip suggests to me that maybe I can get it to
rename each batch of files to "include the date" which by definition
means they will all be disimilar provided that the individual file number
is retained. So to use the above examples , maybe DSCI0014.jpg
becomes dsci1014.10.09.0002.jpg the second file becomes
dsci0013.10.09.02.jpg  . This idea looks a bit ungainly I suppose.

Perhaps putting the date first would be better, so,
10.09.0002dsci1014.jpg which is easier to run the eye over when
looking for something because we can often remember a rough
date when a picture was taken. In due course there are enough
image files to write to disc as a record.

As it is apparent I am trying to get myself organised. I will be getting,
I hope , image files from various sources, some my own camera,
some from other peoples camera, some will be scanned image files,
and in linux they seem to be .pnm files and so  though I had
thought that by keeping to a date system maybe it would be workable
without too much hastle, but I do not have a monopoly of ideas so
if anyone has alternative suggestions, feel free. Now is the time
to suggest them .

regards,

John

--