Alastair Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:56:06 +0100 Azrael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>I installed 9.0 and skipped the network setup.
>>I then booted into mandrake and placed mgmt.o into /usr/share/speedtouch
>>Then I went to configure network settings.
>>
>>I tried to configure alcatel speedtouch usb adsl modem.
>>It requested cd 1 and installed files, and then completed.
>>However the connection wouldn't work.
>>
>>Now as mandrake has a specific option to install the alcatel speedtouch
>>adsl modem, I assume that this works fairly well.. and that therefore it
>>is something I am missing.
>>
>>What should I do to get my adsl connection working?
>

> <whoops - slip and Send was pressed too soon!>
>
> Did the appropriate piece in the Mandrake Configuration Centre ask you for
> username, password, country etc.?
>
> If all that's been entered the best thing to do is just to ignore all the
> Mandrake flapdoodle and do two things:
>
> i. put mgmt.o in your home directory
>
> ii. make a 2-line script, say adsl, there thus:
>
> modem_run -m -f mgmt.o
> pppd call adsl
>
> iii. make it executable (chmod a+x adsl) then run it (./adsl).
>
> After about 20 seconds the beans will be in a row and the connection will be live.
>
> As you can guess from the way this was written I've never bothered with the
> Control Centre stuff; this method is much more direct.
>
> (If the username, password etc. haven't been entered the best thing to do is
> to run drakconnect as root, which will run a wizard similar to that during
> installation which will - eventually - prompt for them. Then go back to 'put
> mgmt.o ...' and continue from there).
>
> Alastair

I tried doing what you suggest, but upon running the 'adsl' file I get a
message saying that it couldn't find my adsl modem, and to try to see if
it is shown under '/proc/something or other/devices' (can't recall the
exact path) and that location doesn't exist for me to check under.

The speedtouch was recognised under mdk8.2 so I am wondering why it
isn't recognised in 9.0 (if indeed that is what the problem is..).

advice always welcome :)
answers even more welcomed :)

--
                 Azrael

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave
of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it
would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

ICQ#52944566