I find that as Gnome improves it is less able to run under KDE. I was using evolution
and galeon and did a redcarpet upgrade and they were both kaput. After 43 years in
this business I am again learning that small individual apps doing a specific job are
better than one app trying to do everything. But I really did like Galeon.

On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:28:39 -0400
Technoslick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Damn --- I got to stop thinking if a little bit is good, a lot more
> has to be better!
>
> I was looking for a Linux alternative to my Windows Contact Management
> software (Maximizer) that my business and I live by. Evolution looked
> pretty good and a possible match to my needs. I installed the complete
> Desktop using their Red Carpet scripted installation feature. I should
> have taken just Evolution (for now), but got really greedy, thinking
> that the whole package would give me more of what I have in Maximizer.
> Well....I suppose this would have been OK if GNOME was my default
> Windows Manager....it ain't! Personally... I just don't like GNOME.
> That's just me...no offense implied. Anyway...
>
> Installation seemed to go very well. I have NEVER seen any on-line
> installation work as smoothly and as well thought out as Ximian's.
> Unfortunately, I cannot find any solution from them on how to get the
> thing to work under KDE. At this point in time, everything looks just
> as it did on KDE before I installed, with one rather interesting
> difference... All of my icons on my Quick-Start Task Bar are now the
> same -- the KDE gear icon. when I click on any of them, I get this
> error message:
>
> "Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory
> 'file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/Applications/Editors/kwrite.desktop' does
> not exist."
>
> Please note that the path is specific to the application icon I
> clicked on, so it varies with the application I am trying to access.
> It looks like this newbie is temporarily fooked and it doesn't even
> feel good! -Ouch!-
>
> Could someone who installed Ximian Desktop in MDK 8.3, using KDE as
> their Windows Manager, please point me to the solution? (Preferably
> before I scream for jumping in without understanding the choices I
> made...) I have been running around Ximian's site for answers (and
> will continue to do so!), but thus far all I have found is that they
> acknowledge that mods have to be done! ARGH!
>
> "Dad, when will I grow up and be a competent Linux user like you?"
>
> "Someday, son...someday."
>
> I am going badk to do more searching.... g-r-r-r-r....
>
> TIA,

"The directions said to install Windows 98/2000 or better!
             So I installed Linux!"

        Linux Counter: 241069