On Thursday 03 Oct 2002 10:14 am, Barran, Richard wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've been using Fluxbox on my home machine (LM8.2) for
> >
> > several weeks now.
> >
> > > I'd like to run certain programs at startup: xscreensaver,
> >
> > and some GUI
> >
> > > applications I use all the time such as Kmail.
> > > I read a page on mandrakeuser.org about creating a
> >
> > .Xclients file with the
> >
> > > program I want to run, followed the instructions to the
> >
> > letter but no
> >
> > > success.
> > >
> > > Can someone help me?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Richard
> >
> > There are a number of ways to do this. What I do is insert a line in
> > ~/.fluxbox/init

> Thanks Derek, your suggested solution worked perfectly.
>
> HOWEVER... curse my luck, I then went to the Fluxbox homepage in search of
> more themes to download. And of course, there's a patch, released 3 days
> ago, that does exactly what I was looking for. Simply bring up the menu,
> select option to save current desktop configuration, et voila.
>
> I'll try it out next week! :-)
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Richard
>
> PS Sylpheed is on my list of apps to try out. Rox? Sounds interesting, I
> haven't yet found a file manager I'm fully happy with so I'll certainly
> give it a try.

Rox is nice, especially if you use prettier icons than the ones supplied. I am
using KDE's icon set. Rox allows you to drop icons on your desktop, but
unfortunately rox 1.3 uses the right mouse button to manage its desktop, and
so does fluxbox, and they interfere with each other. A compromise is to allow
rox to drop icons onto a 'panel' at the edge of the screen.

While you are trying out file managers also check out xwc  It is a classical
'windows explorer' type interface which is really easy to navigate and very
fast. Its 3 pane mode is very useful.

Have you discovered 'bbtools' yet? These are a collection of tools for
blackbox which also work in fluxbox. The most useful IMO is 'bbpager' which
gives you a little view of what is on all 4 of your desktops just like kde
does. It even allows you to drag applications from desktop to desktop.
Unfortunately there is no RPM for 9.0 I am aware of, and I have not got around
to compiling it yet.

derek