----- Original Message -----
From: "windwalker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 6:30 PM
Subject: [newbie] HELP

> Here is my problem
>
> Im a home user.. I want to toal replace my win98 OS
> It has had nothing but problems since i got it.
> All I need is a email client/browser and a way
> to get on net.. Along with simple programs.
> I have a pentium system {800mhz}  two 20gb hard drives
> over 500  ram...  a printer/ scanner/ and photo program
> NOW as a newby will  Linux Mandrake be more stable than
> win98?  easier to fix??
> What has brought me to this comtemplation?
> First  on boot up I have a major problem with windows.. it will boot
> then certain "files are missing" according to prompt
> Doing a new install of windows 98 is no good as disk says certain "cab"
> files missing and dll files..... Guess the disk is damaged.. So as you see
> I need to either get another Windows OS or go for something more stable..
> Ive replaced windows no less than 8 times over  a few years...
> Can anyone give info to me.. the newbe on linux???
> I have simple needs    as a home user

Certainly any variation on Linux will be more stable than Windows 98; the relative
stability of XP or 2000 is a closer call as both improve over 98 in many ways.

The main problem with Linux is detecting and supporting hardware; manufacturers have
very divergent approaches. Some provide their own Linux drivers; others are unhelpful
and leave third parties to do their best. That said, things are much better than they
were even two years ago, when a perfectly ordinary HP CD-RW drive just wouldn't work
with an ancient version of SuSE (6.3); with Mandrake 9.0 everything attached to my
Dell, as well as everything inside it, was detected properly, although my Lexmark Z42
printer only prints in black and white.

I recommend, first, that you look at

http://www.linuxprinting.org/

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

to see whether your printer and scanner are supported.

As for handling photos, there are a number of packages which you get free with
Mandrake, such as

The GIMP http://www.gimp.org/

gPhoto http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/

Both of these are excellent; fully up to commercial quality.

Alastair