On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 10:40:58 -0700
"Gary Armstrong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Keith;
>
> I have USR 5610 internal and I'm having trouble getting it going. Kppp
> sees it but reports that it won't respond when attempting a query. I'm
> new to Linux(2 days) but here's what I've been able to glimmer from the
> docs and poking around.
>
> Lspci -vv shows it at IRQ11 and d000. I take it this is a good sign, but
> I notice that an audio controller is also on IRQ11. Is this a problem or
> is this an example of IRQ sharing?
>
> The docs suggest running setserial. "Find / -print | grep -I setserial"
> states no such animal. The docs further suggest, I might need to
> re-compile the kernel with the serial module. Before I go through this,
> can anyone tell me if I'm on the correct path?
>
> This seems like tough sledding to put a newbie through. If I'm correct,
> I'll probably follow with module/kernel questions.
>
> TIA
> Gary

I think you've got a problematic modem, even though it is hardware based, it uses a
high serial port number by default, and has no jumpers.  You might want to check out
this thread, or someone on this list may actually have one of these things working.

http://www.google.com/search?q=3Com+5610+modem+Linux

I was going do buy one a couple of weeks ago, but decided against it and got a Diamond
external serial.