On Saturday 05 Oct 2002 9:53 pm, Franki wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I finially decided to install Sympa figuring if its good enough for
> mandrake, its good enough for me...
>
> so i went to my mdk9 box and typed urpmi sympa
> it gave me a package not found error...
>

> so I walked over to an 8.2 box and typed the same, and low and behold, it
> installed Sympa..
>
> So my question is,,, where did it go from nine?? was it considered not
> useful? has its license changed?
>
> was it an accident? did mandrake include an alternate mailing list ???
>
> any ideas anyone?
>

> regards
>
> frank

sympa like many other useful applications has never been part of the 'base
distro'  It is maintained as part of 'Contribs'

In 8.2 download edition a snapshot of contrib was placed on CD3. This time for
whatever reason 9.0 does not contain a contrib snapshot. Of course that does
not stop you getting your hands on it. All mirrors have a contrib directory.
For example
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/contrib/i586

You can even get urpmi access with the command

urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/contrib/i586 with
./synthesis.hdlist2.cz

(That command is all one line)

Be aware though that the synthesis file is not always up to date, and you may
have to ftp to the directory to find the app you want.

derek