Hi people.

I chose to bring this up because it pissed me off a bit,
and i think we can do something about it.

There's this new program called "Xbox Media Player" which
appears to be in clear violation of the GPL. i'm not quite sure what this
program does, but i think it's purpose is playing DivX movies on an Xbox or
something...

Anyway, it takes code from FFMPEG (http://ffmpeg.sf.net)
and XVID (http://xvid.org) which are both licensed under the GPL,
and the developers of this XboxMediaPlayer have not released
the source for their program, and when asked for a copy, they clearly
demonstrate they give a s*** about the issue.

A member of the MPlayer-users list has emailed them concerning
this issue and got the following reply:

---

"We are not obliged to release our source until we reach our first stable
public release version 1.0 -  I've made our position about this quite clear.

If we continue to get any more such "demands" we shall simply stop releasing
public betas, and release version 1 and the accompanying source 6-12 month
from now."

---

Now, this got me thinking ( and i've already posted my ideas to MPlayer list)
how about we all *make* them stop releasing their betas? i.e. we *all* keep
asking for the source untill they choose to give us their
oh-so-very-feared-punishment and quit releasing programs in clear violation
of the GPL?

lemme know what you think :o)

--
Damian