I have found that under LM 9.0 using KDE it always shows 119mb of ram
used according to gnome system monitor. This doesn't seem to  change no
matter what i run. Is this an accurate measure of my used ram?

I found that under some other window managers there will be slightly
less used  (such as 110mb ) but still most of what I have.

I am running some servers but still...
How can this be?

I have tried to stop mandrake from running some of those servers as
services and this still didn't seem to make a difference.