On Saturday 03 Aug 2002 6:31 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>     150W per system would probly be overkill.  You can't just add up PSU
> ratings. 'Sides y'all are forgetting addin in monitors.  Still, figure
> 150W per system is probly adequate for most all systems includin the
> monitor.  Mostly UPS's advertise ratings in VA, not watts so much.  A
> 350VA UPS would probly be bare minimum for most desktop systems, 500VA
> a little overkill.  Can't hurt, my APC BackUPS 500 will keep my high
> wattage Tbird system + 17" monitor up for about 20 minutes, without my
> high wattage sub woofer sound system plugged into the UPS.
<snip>

Tom,
(I saved your message above back in August) If you don't mind me asking, in
your opinion, would an APC BackUPS 500 run an Athlon 1.0 GHz and a Duron
900 MHz both with 17" monitors (also plugged in)? And perhaps my external
modem?  I'm not worried about my printer, sub woofer sound system or zip
drive for now.

I just got scared into action this morning when I found both PCs not going
but it was only a matter of unplugging them from the power outlet and
plugging them back in.  Must have been a power surge because everything
else in the house (eg. clocks etc) were still running.

Jeez, you'd think I would've got an UPS sooner, especially after a hd being
fried only a couple of months ago from a power outage!  My old UPS died on
me 18 months ago and the cost of repair was higher than buying a new one.

Definitely getting an UPS ASAP!

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today