This seems to be related to Win98/95 and their possessive view of the
partition table [not really a disk-guru so I don't know the low level
particulars].
I had no luck using LILO in conjunction with Win98 and I eventually went to
using System Commander.  The best installation order I know of is:

wipe all partitions [i know, i know, it sucks]
using fdisk create the Win98 partitions
  [meaning at least one DOS primary partition and probably a FAT32 partition
   for games, etc]
  - if you skip this step, then Win98 will try to take over the hard disk
completely
  - and you will have problems installing a non-MS OS on your disk [at least
     alway do]
install Win98 into the primary FAT 16 partition [I don't think System
Commander handles FAT32]

At this point you should have a single DOS primary partition and a FAT32
partition.
You should now be able to install Linux.  However, I would recommend using
System Commander:

install System Commander
use System Commander to install Linux

This was the only way I could keep Linux and Win98 happy on the same box.
If
anyone knows another way around this, then I know some people who are
interested...
The only reason this works is because System Commander uses the Windows
partition to
store information about the other OSes.  If, magically, Win98 should corrupt
another OS's
boot information [yes, I once mysteriously lost a working Linux
installation], System Commander will go to the Windows partition to recover
the information [because that seems to be
somewhere that the corruption magically doesn't occur].