Greetings all,

I installed Mandrake 9 last week, and I have almost nothing to complain
about. However, I have managed to frell something up already -- or found
a bug, take your pick.

I decided to get my rear speakers to work, so I went looking at the
mixer settings, the aRts soundserver, the sound card in HardDrake, etc.
I did manage to find the right mixer settings, but after that I decided
to see what sound I'd get with a different driver. So, I changed the
sound driver using the config tool in harddrake. It's now set to
"snd-emu10k1 (EMU10K1)", and it says above that this is the OSS driver.

Of course, after I changed the driver, I noticed the sound quality I was
getting out of XMMS was noticeably worse than before, so I went to
change it back (presumably to ALSA, though I can't remember the exact
string it was set at), and I was unable to do so. There is now only 1
option to set the driver to in HardDrake, and it's the one I'm currently
using.

What's odd is that the "Information" box for the sound card lists
"audigy:emu10k1" under "Alternative drivers", but, as I said, there's no
such listing in the config tool.

Any help with regard to HardDrake and Mandrake's implementation of OSS
and ALSA would be appreciated. I went over to www.alsa-project.org to
find out how set it up manually, but I'm afraid what documentation they
had was pretty complicated -- I imagine I could get it working with some
effort, but I'm hoping I can get Mandrake to set it up for me.

I'm using a vanilla Creative Sound Blaster Live in an Alienware system.

Thanks in advance,

Ed Halter