They love it for the same reason that the front end bean counters hate it...

Its cheap to put on a thousand machines, hack it to do what you need, and
create a render wall..

Titanic was rendered on linux machines.
Star wars 1 and 2 (as you mention.)
and Lord of the rings was rendered on hundreds of predominantly linux
machines they call the "render wall" (a New Zealand company)

but the bean counters hate it cos stuff like DeCSS and region coding were
written by programmers not as smart as those working on the linux kernel and
such projects, meaning that they don't last long...

bet you any money, that if the movie companies had a choice, they'd make it
so the only people allowed to use linux, would be the guys creating the
CG......

sad but true,, its the same for ISP's. there are thousands of ISP's using
linux servers, who don't support linux as a client..

go figure.. My ISP is the only one with linux setup instructions for dialup
and ADSL (PPPoe) even if it was only for Redhat, it was at least a start. so
I support iinet as a result.

If you are in Australia, I suggest you look into them, they are cheap, good
service, and support linux.. (be sure to mention that that is why you chose
them, if enough do that, it might become widespread..)

rgds

Frank