On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:08:06 +0000 Miark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> shane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> saith:
>
> > ...the last asset, money, is startiong to get tied up between courts,
> > payed off poloticians, dropping economy, and great ventures like the xbox...
>
> Excellent commentary on M$, Shane. About the _only_ thing you left out
> was this beautiful dash of salt: the latest cancer OS by Mandrake has
> spread to said xbox ;-)

Well ... I work on a military project which is specifying a combination of
off-the-shelf and bespoke software.

I was handed a paper today which studied in great detail (50 pages) the
security of Microsoft Office. It was damning and stated it _could never_ be
secured and that an alternative was _mandatory_ if anything other than
unclassified information were to be on the same PC.

The suggested alternative was OOo and the clincher was the availability of
the source code; if insecure it could be secured. (This adds an interesting
wrinkle to the GPL; if these security fixes increase the security
classification of the software the updated source code cannot be
redistributed!)

So the fortress has already fallen but nobody can hear it fall ;)

Alastair