On Sunday 13 October 2002 11:19 pm, Franki wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> After proclaiming my mdk9 install to be a success, I find myself kinda
> embarrased.
>
> I tried to install an app with urpmi <appname> and it didn't work.
>
> Then I tried to fire up MandrakeUpdate,,, same result.. it displays
> "please wait finding available packages" and that message never
> disapears. (been up for 36 hours now.)
>
> Then I tried rpm --rebuilddb
>
> no good, just sits there doing nothing.
>
> even a query like:
>
> rpm -qa | grep kde
>
> just sits there...
>
> ditto with installing:
> urpmi gkrellm
>
> has just sat there doing nothing for 12 hours.
>
> and I can't find anything interesting in syslog about it...
>
> anyone know whats going on???

I don't know EXACTLY what is going on, but it looks like something that
occured to me over the weekend.

try "rpm -qa" as root -- does it hang about midway thru?
try "rpm -qa" as a user -- it completes normally.

What I ended up doing was dropping into single user mode, and trying a rpm
--rebuilddb, but that hung also (note, I also used a -vvvv option, and it
always hung in the same place)

rebooted to rescue disk, mounted the disks containing /var/lib/rpm and
another disk

mount /dev/hdg2 /mnt/disk --- for /var/lib/rpm
mkdir /var/tmp
mount /dev/hdg1 /var/tmp  -- rpm rebuild needs some space here, hdg1 is
usually iso work space
rpm -vvvv --rebuilddb --dbpath /mnt/disk/var/lib/rpm

then rebooted, this fixed the problem, YMMV....

--
Alex / KC2IVL
ft100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl