Xmms will play ogg 'out of the box' No need to install or edit anything.

As for grip just edit the 'Config>MP3>Encoder' Tab

Set the encoder to 'oggenc'
and the 'MP3 executable' to /usr/bin/oggenc
and the 'MP3 command line' to
 -o %m -a "%a" -l "%d" -c "genre=%G" -q "%b" -d "%

and the mp3 file format to
~/mp3/%A/%d/%a-%n.ogg

Then in the 'MP3>Options' Tab
set Encoding bitrate to 1
This is 'quality' not actual bit rate.
1 for ~ 56kbps
2 for ~ 96kbps
3 for ~128 kbps

Surprisingly enough Quality of 1 sounds pretty good :-)

You could also use bit rate to define the encoding rate if you wish. In that
case the 'MP3 Command line' parameter would be different.
See 'man oggenc' for a full breakdown.

Alternatively another way to rip Oggs is with konqueror.
Just open konqueror file manager. Click on the botton icon in the divider
between left and right panes. This is for 'special' services.
Pick 'Audio CD Browser' If you have an audio CD in the drive you can browse it
in wav, or ogg format, and drag and drop files from ogg format onto a
konqueror window. They will get ripped in the process. It is slower than
grip, but rather cool :-)

You can configure the ogg encoding parameters with KDE
ControlCentre>Sound>AudioIOSlave

HTH

derek