On Thursday 31 October 2002 03:49 pm, Paul Rodriguez wrote:
> I just did a recent upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0.  And I have
> been experiencing some internet sluggishness from this
> box.  None of the other computers on the network 8.2's
> are experiencing the slowdowns. What could this be?
>
> - Paul

Paul, I had the same experience. Sometimes my system would
even come to a complete stalemate. After some looking
around it seems that some motherboards don't like the
"apic" option per default passed to the kernel. APIC is
some kind of interrupt daemon IIRC (?).

Solution : Edit (as root, of course) /etc/lilo.conf
"append" - line to append=" noapic "

Then run /sbin/lilo (as root) and reboot.

Worked for me.

Now I suddenly recall : The problem is documented on the
Mandrake home page under "errata".

HTH

Kaj Haulrich