On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 10:28, John Richard Smith wrote:
> At last I found the time to get  M9.0 on in dual boot with M8.2
> last night.
>
> I can now see the problems with supermount.
> The straight install creates:-
>
> fstab
> none /mnt/cdrom supermount
> dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0
> 0 0
> none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dnone /mnt/floppy supermount
> dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0
> 0 0
> none /mnt/floppy2 supermount
> dev=/dev/fd1,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0
> 0
> 0ev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
eeeyuch. I hate supermount.

> which is wrong because I have both my dvd and writer configured under
> scsi-emulation in lilo.conf  so that the writer programmes can use
> them
> both'
> with ,append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi nobiospnp"

So what? The burner software will access them over SCSI and the rest
will access them as IDE. It's a better solution the way I see it. (I'm
not and ide-scsi or burner expert, so get somebody to check me on
this...)

> So I rewrote fstab:-
> none /mnt/cdrom supermount
> dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0
> 0 0
> none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
> dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0
> 0 0
> none /mnt/cdrom supermount
> dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0
> 0 0
> none /mnt/floppy2 supermount
> dev=/dev/fd1,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0
> 0 0
>
> Note : DVD is master Writer Slave on same IDE line.
>

> However, having created on desktop in the usual right mouse click way
> four icons,
> CD/DVD-ROM Device   , pointing to /mnt/cdrom       supermount
> CD/DVD-ROM Device2 , pointing to /mnt/cdrom2     supermount
> Floppy Device a             , pointing to /mnt/floppy       supermount
> Floppy Device b             , pointing to /mnt/floppy2     supermount
>
> none of them will mount and display anything
> instead I get reported,
> Could not mount device, reported error:-
> mount: Can't find supermount in /etc/fstab, and /etc/mtab
>
> Having said that, xcdroast recognises the devices , so it likes the
> entries in fstab and lilo.conf. At first it seemed to be the
> entries in
> fstab
> for supermount in conjunction with scsi-emulation that  are the
> problem,
> and to that end I tried removing the  "none" in front of the fstab
> entries for the cdrom's ,my reasoning being that perhaps under
> scsi-emulation cdrom's are real devices , but then the above
> supermount entries do not work with my floppy drives either , which
> of course are not scsi-emulated. So what is the problem ?
>
> John

Your best bet is to screw supermount,if you can deal with mount and
umount (not that hard). Change the /etc/fstab back to the way it was
before and do:

supermount disable

as root. Supermount is supposed to work, but I've discovered that it
doesn't most of the time.

--
*Michael Notforyou*
Registered Linux User #197888