On Tuesday 05 Nov 2002 9:06 pm, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 06:38 pm, John Richard Smith
>
> wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >I use KView's ability to display thumbnails, when
> > > working with images, but have come across a real
> > > puzzler.  In the large batch of photos I'm working
> > > with, two directories contain .jpg and .bmp images.
> > > Some of the .bmps were written by a windows program,
> > > and some by gPhoto.  The .jpgs display as thumbnails,
> > > but the .bmps don't.
> > >
> > >In a third directors there are images that were
> > > captured from video by a windows application, then
> > > trimmed in Gimp.  These all show as .BMP.  These
> > > images do display as thumbnails.
> > >
> > >All three directories are subdirectories in a fat32
> > > partition, so renaming *.bmp to *.BMP makes no
> > > difference.
> > >
> > >Any ideas, anyone?
> > >
> > >Anne
>
> Anne, BMP's are a lot of things. Essentially it is nothing
> than "a collection of bits". I remember form my OS/2 days
> a great application - PMView - that gave a thorough
> explanation of the various .bmp-formats. There IS a big
> difference between Windows- Unix- OS/2- etc. etc. when it
> comes to bmp-pics.
>
> Regards
> Kaj Haulrich

and I thought .bmp was a lowest common denominator!  As a 'collection of
bits' I thought it would be the simplest format, understood by all.  The
programs I use for editing have no problems with them, but I have seen other
problems in windows programs, such as the one that I use for contact-print
sheets can't read the .bmps direct from the video capture.  If I open them in
an editor and re-save there is no problem.

Nothing's simple, is it?

Anne