On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 10:45, teddy wl wrote:
> 1.for connecting all your PC you need ethernet card
> for every PC. configuring the IP address ex.
> 192.168.1.0/24 if you do not understand the IP you
> must read the basic of TCP/IP or i sugestion to you,
> to enter this address for your PC's :
> PC 1 : 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
> PC 2: 192.168.1.2 netmask same above
> PC 3:192.168.1.3 netmask same above
> PC 4: 192.168.1.4 netmask same above

I'm a little confused here.  with the example above (and I admit that I
have never worked with a home network that included Windows machines)...
I would expect to see:

network base address:    192.168.1.0/29
or                       192.168.1.0  netmask: 255.255.255.248
PC 1:                    192.168.1.1
PC 2:                    192.168.1.2
PC 3:                    192.168.1.3
PC 4:                    192.168.1.4
broadcast address:       192.168.1.5

I have seen several examples of networking as stated above by
Teddy...but don't understand how that setup would be 'legal' (in the
networking sense) and would work properly.  I would expect a netmask of
255.255.255.0 for each of the machines would indicate that each machine
was authoritative for an entire Class C network.

I plan to set up my own home network soon (no windows machines, but
several linux PCs and a mandrake iMac and an OS X iBook)...and I want to
do it correctly, but without 'overkill'.  Could someone with networking
experience add a few cents to this, please?

TIA.

--
Erik

Linux User 288105