On Tuesday 12 Nov 2002 11:57 am, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 21:45, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > at the predictable response from hardware manufacturers.  I don't usually
> > snap at people like this, but...

> > OK - I'll buy a Hauppage card that does.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne, look - for all intents and purposes, you're swimming upstream
> here. Manufacturers don't care about US - they care about money. They
> care about marketing.

In the end, lost sales do count.  Mine alone will do nothing, but the more
often we can tell them that we have gone to a competitor who does better and
the sooner they will take notice.

> You would THINK that they
> would spend the same time in developing drivers for their hardware for
> OTHER operating systems - but in reality - just take a good look around
> that what DOESN'T work for Macs! And they're the OTHER PART of the
> desktop arena...
>
> None of the manufacturers are going to bust a move to do anything for
> linux overall until the world's public stands up and demands the
> quality, service and support.
>
> On the other hand, if a group of geeks/nerds get cluey enough, they
> might develope their own driver set - as has happened with many other
> pieces of equipment...and better at that!

Agreed - but for those of us that don't have those skills perhaps the most
useful thing we can do is make them aware of the demand, and if we can also
make them aware of the fact that a competitor has done something it will all
help.

I think it's time to start a 'needling' party.

Anne