Todd wrote:

> Have to agree on the printer choices.  I bought into an article i read
> about 3 years ago on the Lexmark 3200 being a great value for a "high
> quality" ink jet printer.  So they were on sale at best buy and I bought
> 2 of them.  One for us and one for my roommate's daughter.  They are
> total pieces of crap.
> Main issues:
> -Photo quality resolution sucks (puts horizontal lines through the
> image--even when properly calibrated).
> -Ink-- Cartridges are expensive (as Alistair already stated) and
> long-term, if you don't use the ink, it will dry up.  I have a laser
> printer so I only use a color printer for photos.  I found that in as
> little as a couple of months time, the ink will dry up and the
> cartridges are useless.

Under Windows I could print reasonably well. Under Linux I could only ever
get 2 of the 3 colours to print. (Not that I used colour much - the thing
was mainly used for churning out letters - but it was still annoying).

> Earlier this year, we bought an HP Photosmart printer and it's fabulous.
>  The photo quality is excellent, and the ink cartridges/pots last a long
> time and don't dry up on you-- they are expensive, but I haven't had to
> replace one yet.
> So as far as printers go, DON'T GET A LEXMARK!  You might spend a little
> more on an HP, but the overall cost over time will be cheaper.  My
> lexmark printers are collecting dust right now.  I won't even sell them
> because I don't want to have to support them to whomever I sell them to.

Indeed; my Lexmark went straight in the wheelie bin once the cartridges
died!

The problem is when people switch from Windows to Linux (or MacOS, or any
other OS) and bring with them all sorts of hardware which has "assumed
Windows" but hadn't made that assumption clear. Then they try to use the
hardware outside Windows and it doesn't work ...

Alastair