On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 22:57, Technoslick wrote:
> The last time that I remember re-compiling a Linux kernel was in 1995 using
> Caldera OpenLinux 1.0 and also with whatever version of Slackware was the
> rage then. It was a real pain for me then, and to this day, I was never sure
> that I got things working quite right. Has compiling a kernel and mating it
> to the modules and all of its dependencies really gotten that much easier
> and more fool proof?

Yes. Simple as (after opening a term)

cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig
make deps
make modules
make modules_install
make bzImage
make install
lilo

*REBOOT*

> Does Mandrake have a current set of instructions specific to their distro on
> their Web site or already on our installations? It's my biggest peeve with
> Linux in the that the information found doesn't always apply to your
> particular distro.

Dunno - I'm sometimes not one for RTFM - so I found out on my own. Just
used "uncommon" sense, or common sense - depending on if you ask my wife
or me.

> I have two MDK 8.2 workstations that are subject to being reclassified as my
> place to play. ;-) The one that is running a P133 w/ 64 MBs of RAM is for
> kids and guests. If tweaking and shrinking the kernel of junk makes it
> running better, faster, KDE would be more "acceptable" on it.

KDE acceptable on something as blazing fast as a P-133? Hmmm...KDE 1.0,
mebee...KDE3? Nah. (Gnome 1.4? Hmm...possibly)

> I realize that the best improvement would be to up the RAM to 128 MBs or
> better, but it will probably stay as it is until I replace the whole system
> with something better. I would love to get another 64 MBs in, but the slots
> are 72-pin SIMMs and I am using all four to get 64, now. The box isn't worth
> the cost of the memory. Besides, it's for kids and guests, neither of which
> come often. <heh-heh>

I've got two 72-pinners - but either is on a keychain now...sorry
mate...

BTW, what are guests?

--
Fri Nov 15 23:05:00 EST 2002

--------------------------------
|            __    __          |
|           /  \ /| |'-.       |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |kuhn media australia
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |http://kma.0catch.com
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |stephen kuhn
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     |mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     |linux user:267497

Every time you manage to close the door on Reality, it comes in through
the
window.