Thanks that worked.  Now if I just learn to program thanks Bill Nash.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of David C. Fox
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 4:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Help with learning to program

wrnash wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I?m trying to learn to program in c++.  I bought a book and I install
> the software on a windows machine and was able to run my first
program.
> Now I would like to run this on a linux mandrake 9.0 machine.  I do
not
> know how to do this.  This is the program I use from the book.
>

> #include<iostream>
>

> int main()
>
> {
>
>             std::cout<<?Hello, new world!\n?;
>
> }
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup.

Probably, but since you're here...

> I type the following and I get a error
>
> Gcc hello.cpp

In general, it would be helpful if you report the specific error, as
well as the version of gcc you are using (gcc --version should tell
you).

When I try this on Mandrake 8.1, gcc 2.96, I get errors from the linker,

ld, about undefined references to cout and ostream::operator<<.
However, if I type

g++ hello.cpp

it compiles and runs fine.  It likes like gcc (2.96 at least) doesn't
assume from the filename extension that you are compiling C++ rather
than C (or at least doesn't automatically link with the proper
libraries).  I'm rather surprised at that, but anyway try using g++ and
see if that works.

> Is there a program I can use like visual c++ 6.0 under linux.

I'm not so familiar with C++ integrated development environments for
Linux, so I'll have to let someone else answer that.