Anne,

To your last question..."yes". The vmlinuz file is the kernel. You now
have two specific kernel files vmlinuz-2.4.18-6mdk on the hde6 /boot
partition and vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk on the hdf1 /boot partition. Vmlinuz
is a generic link that will work with the existing lilo.conf file.

That's why you have the line in lilo.conf

image=/boot/vmlinuz

You could instead have a line

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk

The initrd files are RAM disk images that hold modules that must be
loaded to the kernel on startup but the construct is the same, the links
used in the same way, etc.

The problem is that you have two different /boot directories on
different drives. It would be better to move the specific vmlinuz and
initrd images to hde6 /boot and then amend your lilo.conf file to look
something like this

<snip>
default=Mandrake-9 (if that is what you want as default)
<snip,snip>
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
        label=Mandrake-9
        root=/dev/hdf1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16mdk
        append <etc.>
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-6mdk
        label=Mandrake-8.2
        root=/dev/hde6
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-6mdk
        append <etc.>
<the next stanza is for failsafe. If you're going to use 9.0 use the 9.0
vmlinuz and initrd filenames. Leave everything else as is.>

The last two stanzas (windows and floppy) don't depend on your linux
kernel.

Terry Smith
Cape Cod USA