Not cooking yet but at least a slow poaching.

I looked in the /etc/rc.d/rc5.d directory and found a pointer file
(K35vncserver@) pointing to ../init.d/vncservers.

I assume that the rc5 refers to a boot-level 5 maybe?

This looked sorta promising so I checked out ../init.d/vncservers and inside
that bash script are a couple of lines that look promising:

VNCSERVERS=""
[ -f /etc/sysconfig/vncservers] && . /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

I checked my bash reference but I couldn't find anything that could tell me
exactly what those two lines ought to do.  /etc/sysconfig/vncservers is
where I put my two commands that I hoped would automatically start the
vncservers.

What do those two lines do ... and talk slow, I live in the South.

Kidding aside, thanks for your help Steven.