MAIN TOPIC:  KDE DOESN'T LIKE ME!!!!!!!

> OK, well, I can't help you with any of the stuff below =-( BUT, I can
> tell you one other thing to try before the dreaded 3-Finger Salute.

        No problem, ANY information is greatly appreciated!

> Try jumping to one of the other virtual terminals by pressing
> control-alt-F2 or any of the other function keys 3-6.  If that doesn't
> work (and make sure to give it a good long time), then if at all possible,
> try to telnet to the machine from another machine.  Orderly shutdown is
> VERY important in linux for exactly the reason you describe below.

        Ahh, CTL-ALT-F2?  I was just trying "ALT-F2", as it is in Bash.

> Oh, you can also press cntrl-alt-backspace to try to kill the x-server, i
> think, or try cntrl-alt-F1 and then control-c to do the same.

        WOW, that's a godsend!  I'm now back into the shell and I can see all
sorts of funny error messages!  Okay, here goes!

I get a screenfull of stuff... it probably stretches WAY before where I
was.  Anyway!

kpanel: waiting for windowmanager
No such file or directoryQdir::readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory
/root/Desktop/Templaces
ERROR: Templaye does not exist '/root/Desktop/Templates/'
PID could not get read.
((*repeat 8 more times))
Could not read '/tmp//kfm-cache-0/index.txt'

PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
kwmsound: Failed connecting the audio server.
Please check manually if you can start kaudioserver.
((*I never ever configured a sound card in Linux... it wasn't a concern
of mine.))
kfm (kdebase): warning, case not handled in processError()
kfm (kdebase): action = 16, kioerror = 7
kfm (kdebase): error msg = http://www.netscape.com/
((*Hmm, can you tell I was trying to access Netscape?))
((*Now, I get a big line of y's with two dots over them... about one and
a half lines worth.))
Warning: /dev/mouse unable to get status of mouse fd (Input/outpot
error)
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
0000001b

And then it goes into the HD error (with the stack and all) that I
reported in the last message and prints out "Ooops" and all.

(At this point, I pressed CTL-ALT-DEL, which, on my system,
automatically attempts to unmount the filesystems and reboot...
unfortunately, the filesystems were being used... DAMN!!!!!)

        Actually, I think I know ONE problem right off of the bat... how do you
set your mouse?  I have a feeling my Mouse is incorrectly set.  On the
motherboard, it's plugged into "COM1".  That means its a Serial Mouse?
(I have an authentic Microsoft Mouse.  Don't you all scream at me, now,
this thing's from the late 1980's and I think it's cool that I still
have it; I used it with my 286.  Even more surprising, I still have the
original software and the original manuals, too!)

        Anyway, would it work any better if I plugged the port into the "PS/2
mouse" port on my motherboard?  (BTW, how do I configure the mouse for
X11 anyway?)
--
/-|rcana